Call for Applications for the Pentathlon Board of Directors
Pentathlon Canada is seeking applications from individuals interested in filling Board positions. Upon approval of the new Pentathlon Canada Bylaws at the 2021 Pentathlon Canada Annual General Meeting (AGM), where positions will begin on staggered terms, the following positions will be available for the following terms:
- President (3-year term – March 2021-March 2024)
- Treasurer (2-year term – March 2021-March 2023)
- Director-at-Large – total of 8 positions available (2-3 positions for a 3-year term; 2-3 positions for a 2-year term and 2-3 positions for a 1-year term)
Please find detailed descriptions of each position below.
The President will be responsible for the general supervision of the affairs and operations of the Corporation, will oversee and supervise office staff, will preside at the Annual and Special Meetings of the Corporation and at meetings of the Board, will be the official spokesman of the Corporation, and will perform such other duties as may from time to time be established by the Board.
The Treasurer will, subject to the powers and duties of the Board, keep proper accounting records as required by the Act, will cause to be deposited all monies received by the Corporation in the Corporation’s bank account, will supervise the management and the disbursement of funds of the Corporation, when required will provide the Board with an account of financial transactions and the financial position of the Corporation, will prepare annual budgets, and will perform such other duties as may from time to time be established by the Board.
The Director-at-Large duties and responsibilities are not fixed but instead vary according to the needs of the association. A Director-at-Large serves as a liaison to the general membership and takes on roles as defined in organization bylaws or as needed to fulfill board requirements and address overall organizational goals.
Interested candidates should:
- Be eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Be a resident of Canada as defined in the Income Tax Act;
- Have the power under law to contract;
- Have not been declared incapable by a court in Canada or in another country; and
- Not have the status of bankrupt.
Candidates should be self-motivated and professional. Candidates should ideally also have experience in one or more of the following areas: governance; events; marketing/communications; strategic planning; fundraising; human resources management; not-for-profit organization management.
Candidates with previous Board experience are preferred, however individuals who meet some or all of the previous criteria are encouraged to apply.
Expectations of the successful candidate are:
- Serve the full term in which they have been elected.
- Minimum of 6 hours a month in Board duties.
- Attendance at 10 to 12 (approx.) Board conference calls/meetings during the year.
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter explaining your experience, the position you would like to apply for and why you would like to apply for this position.
- A copy of your resumé
Please send this information to Shelley Callaghan at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00pm EST on Tuesday, March 16, 2021. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. If you have any questions about any of the positions or the process please contact Shelley Callaghan at email@example.com.
Please note that as per the Pentathlon Canada By-laws, nominations for Pentathlon Canada Board positions can also come from the floor by members present during the Pentathlon Canada AGM taking place Saturday, March 20, 2021.Download the PDF